Quote:
[orange]We considered various heating options.....

Sounds like an opportunity for another project for someone. I actually had my hard drive complain of the temps awhile back, forget what the temps were but somewhere in the low 20's F region. I have a mix of drives, the original & a self-installed. The options for a solution for people in the more cold prone areas seem approachable of course. Taking the player out is the most ideal if you remember or get in the habit of it. I have left mine in the car much more often than not. I have temp extremes here of anything from 0F to indeces of 105F (sealed black vehicle) & have had little problems w/the drives balking. Is it worth any trouble, probably as I'm sure the drives are on borrowed time now, do I want to have replace them, NO! It's like Tony says the drives subjected to these extremes isn't good, start thinking of replacement before it's too late.
One solution might be a small bulb as a remedy as a small filament bulb can generate enough heat to keep a small area much warmer & the bulb wouldn't have to be that big. On the extreme side perhaps a small hydrogen plant:) The matter of a battery operated object having something running overnight can have it's own barriers though as everyone knows. It's not something that's insurmountable though. I have no idea what I'm leading to but certainly people on this board have the knowhow.
My biggest ? is Roger mentioned various heating options can they be divulged on this board as to the methods looked at?