Quote:
True. However, how many of the Windows users who happily click "yes, please install my dodgy ActiveX control" would also merrily type in their admin password when asked under OS X when downloading the latest shinny bit of crap with embedded spyware or other nasties ?

Good point. Though the problems would still be less I believe. How many recent worms/viruses in Windows actually prompt the user for anything? An out of the box Windows machine plugged right into a broadband connection gets hosed in minutes. Browsing a web site with an image can do tons of damage. I consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to computers. And I appreciate the fact that I know the same type of issues will likely not happen to my personal Macs out of the box. I know what I am doing with Windows, but still rely on an antivirus solution on my Wintendo just in case some new exploit gets used before a patch or warning. I also have to take special precautions to ensure when I format a hard disk to reload the OS, I've pulled the ethernet cable out at work. Where as tossing Linux on a lab box requires no such precaution.

I can educate people not to trust certain dialogs. For example, a relative uses an XP system to do minor web browsing and online poker. I showed him the antispyware and virus solutions and how to deal with them. In that time, he has had two warnings in the spyware side about something trying to install, but he blocked them. This relative really has no knowledge of computers beyond knowing how to find Freecell and type a URL. However even with what I taught them, there is still a chance I'll have to reload the box due to something nasty getting in on its own. Something I don't fear from another relative with an iBook.