Is raid-0 really a good idea for data?

I don't think so, and told the engineer as much when he told me what he was doing.

My preferred method is to have a C: and D: drive, and a batch file that copies my C: drive to the D: drive using XCOPY with a lot of parameters (xcopy /d/s/e/v/c/h/r/k/y/exclude:C:\Batch\exclude2 c:\*.* d:\) and use Windows task scheduler to run that process every morning at 5:01 am. The advantage to this arrangement is that if I make a mistake (for instance, save changes to a file and then realize I didn't want to save those changes) I always have the original version of the file readily available.

Update: I just talked to my engineer about the Raid-0 situation, and he was mistaken in calling it Raid-0; it is actually a Raid-1 (mirrored) setup without striping.

Speaking of Windows Task Scheduler... I had 35 different jobs in the old computer's task scheduler. Is there a way to transfer them to the new one, or do I have to re-create them one at a time from scratch? (It wouldn't be that difficult -- each task just calls a batch file on the first, second, third etc. monday, tuesday, wednesday etc. of the month.) I was able to copy the job files to the new computer (they're just sitting in a folder on the desktop) but of course they are not "registered" with Windows and are disabled (little red Xs in the icons).

tanstaafl.

Edit: fixed a tag -wfaulk

Edited by wfaulk (25/01/2006 18:38)