I'm not a fan of SP- in fact I find it offensive. Which is why I don't watch it (makes sense right?). Obviously there are some who are not offended, so that's cool. We all make personal decisions.

Hayes is obviously out of line- he should have just said "I won't participate in something that makes fun of Scientology." At least that would have been honest. What he did choose to say ("Religious beliefs are sacred to people and at all times should be respected and honored.") is just laughable- sure you find it offensive to make fun of various religions when YOU are the target. If you find the concept offensive now, you should be apologizing to every group who the show has offended, because you were a part of that show. If you didn't see that it might offend people then, but do now that it's YOUR religion, then all the more reason to apologize for your shortsightedness. But the last people you need to target are the ones who you joined in with as long as it was only other people being ridiculed.

Having said all of that, I do wonder if Hayes was forced to leave by Scientology. With their history of handling criticism, I can't imagine they'd be too happy about his involvement in the show. He might not have had much of a choice- except to denounce his religion.