I just thought I'd chime in and point out some basic things, not knowing how little "no experience" actually is.

Even after you buy the hardware, there's a monthy service fee of $12.95. (Or you can buy for a year or two at a time and save.) So he (or you, or someone) would still have to pay to get the service. In addition, the subscriptions are for one receiver only. You have to pay more if you want to have multiple receivers.

That's why many of the receivers are somewhat modular. That is, for example, you might have one in your car, and when you leave your car, you actually pop out the bulk of the unit and take it with you. The "boomboxes" he speaks of are the portable cases for the receiver, with speakers and amp included. But you can't listen in the car and on the portable at the same time.

I don't know how the reception is inside buildings. (If he's a residential contractor, that's probably not a big problem.) I know you have to have some sort of additional antenna for your car installation. Someone should probably chime in on that.