Quote:
When your ribbons dont start rolling off till 40k and have usable responce to 60k, you want the recording to hold up.

I think this is extremely misguided, and suggests a lack of understanding of how digital music works. The original CD that you get your "lossless" files from has a sampling rate of 44kHz. As such, it can only reasonably represent frequencies in the original recording up to about 22kHz (google the Nyquist theorem). Even at 22kHz, it won't have much fidelity. In other words, your speakers do NOT have "reasonable response" to 60kHz, because they are limited by other parts of the system (the source). Its silly to have speakers that are flat out to 60kHz because the source is only good up to something less than 22kHz. In fact, you could argue that you may even want to filter anything above the Nyquist rate, as it is probably extremely noisy. This is OK, however, because human hearing is typically considered to extend only to 20kHz. For that matter, any sampling noise is probably inaudible too.

If you want to acoustically represent something that comes out of a signal generator (rather than a CD), and is considerably beyond the range of human hearing, then fine. But it ain't about the music. In fact, it ain't about the "sound" either, because "sound" is the human perception of air resonating up to about 20kHz. Oh, and if you're going to do that with the idea that you are going for accuracy, then you don't have tubes in the circuit. "Color" is another word for "distortion".

That's why I'm an engineer, I suppose. I think those practical considerations are the whole point. If you want to rub money on it for the sake of "bragging rights", that's cool. I guess we have different world views, is all

Jim