A few days ago, my house got hit by lightning (as did I, but that's another story). The lightning had the effect of letting the magic smoke out of most of my electronic gear, especially my favorite pieces (2 TiVos, HDTV, and sadly, empeg).

My empeg was sitting in it's Mark Lord dock on the computer desk, with connections to power, computer via serial, and router via ethernet. The computer lost it's ethernet port, as did the cable modem. The port on the router that the computer plugs in to is dead as well. So, there was obviously some sort of spike going through the ethernet cabling on that desk.

Now, the empeg powers up, but gets the dreaded "No hard disk found". I opened it up and looked around really closely, but couldn't see any obvious place where the smoke had escaped. I did look really hard at the IDE header, and noticed that it does in fact look like the pictures in the FAQ of the IDE header solder problem. However, I've never had a problem with the disks not being recognized before.

In the boot log, there was the line about not finding the CS4231A. So, I loaded up the latest Hijack (thanks, Mark!) to bypass that. Unfortunately, even with the latest Hijack, I'm getting nowhere.

Attached is the latest boot log. The main things I'm concerned about are the CS4231a problem and the line that reads "smc_init couldn't find card". Well, and the whole not recognizing the drives thing.

Is there a chance that my IDE header just coincidentally decided to lift off the mainboard at the same time as the lightning hit? Or, do signs indicate actual fried stuff on the motherboard at this point?

Attachments
285542-poop3.txt (443 downloads)