Thanks to everyone for the great responses! I appreciate the help. I'd like to address some of the suggestions:

1) I would love to do the whole "portable AC with exhaust to drop-ceiling" thing. I just worry about how my office manager would react. She got me the job, essentially, so I don't want to step on any toes.

2) reflective coating/cardboard with foil: I've thought about the reflective coating, but again, I worry if that's overstepping my bounds. I could put cardboard up, but I just left a job that felt like I was in a basement. I would love to keep the natural light and the view.

3) honeycomb fabric blinds: I'm sure I wouldn't be allowed to replace the blinds, unfortunately

4) be nice to the maintenance people: I like the building people a lot. They're cool guys. I just don't think there's anything they can do. I think this has been a problem since far before I got there, and nothing's been done about it.

At the moment, I think I might look into Robotic's link and consider that. It sounds like the best possibility.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.