Quote:
So far the best show by a stretch is Heroes.

Of the shows you listed? Yes. Better than Lost? No.

I'm watching Heroes because I love superheros and fantasy stuff, but not because it's a great show. Only half of the actors on the show are any good (the worst being the flying guy, the painter, and the Indian guy - sorry, I haven't bothered to learn their names). Everything seems so cliched.

Spoiler:
Cyrnfr fnl lbh xarj gung gur tvey jvgu gur Vaqvna thl jnf n cynag. Vg jnf cnvashyyl boivbhf sebz fprar bar. Sebz gur zbzrag fur nccrnerq ba fperra. V erfrag gung gurl gubhtug vg jnf n fhecevfr guvf jrrx.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the characters don't have their own free will. Everything they do is entirely to serve the script, and that bugs the hell out of me. Example (possible spoiler): for the first several episodes, the Indian guy was all about discovering more about, and validating, his father's work. He was fairly rabid about it. He was seeking people out. He went to that guy Silas's (sp?) place and became more adamant than ever. The very next episode, the flying guy (is his name Peter?) finds him and tells him about what he's experienced. The Indian guy greets him with the most extreme skepticism, and it's completely out of character from what we've seen already. The entire way to the painter's apartment, he's complaining and being sarcastic and acting like a jackass. I guess the writers decided to give him a line about the default stance of science being skepticism, but that was a cop-out. They just wanted to explain why they needed him to stop hanging out with Peter so they could stretch out the story. It was very frustrating.

The show has its moments, but those moments aren't because I think it's moving or profound, they're just the seriously geeky ones like when Hero comes back from the future with a sword. I know the show is trying to be profound about something, and it thinks it's smart. Ooo, their powers reflect who they are, like the mother who's stretched so thin she wishes there were two of her, or the indestructible teenager, or the cop who reads minds, or the guy who feels so much for the people around them he can use their powers. What's the point?

Good parts: Masi Oka's Hiro is the best thing on the show. They could stick to that storyline the entire time for all I care. I also like Ali Larter's story. My other favorite was Greg Grunberg, but I can barely tell if he's actually in the program!

As usual, I'm having a hard time explaining what I mean. Basically Heroes is not my favorite new show of the year, and it certainly isn't better than a lot of returning shows. I'm going to keep watching, though.

ps- sorry for the rant. I just love discussing TV with people, and most of the people I know don't watch quite as much of it as I do. I don't think I know anyone who watches Heroes, so I'd enjoy discussing it with you.
pps-I'll agree with you on Weeds to a degree. I thought the second season wasn't as good as the first, with people doing all sorts of inexplicable things, but it was still hilarious and the finale was one of the most intense episodes I've seen on TV in a long while.