I do have access to a PC, but it's not that convenient right now. So I haven't tried Emplode (in a long time) nor have I done anything with the serial cable recently.

Running Hijack 413 as I haven't actually connected the player to a computer in ages. The last time was just to use Empeg Menu X in June.

The empeg is connected directly to my router right now and I'm trying to access it from my Powerbook over wifi.

Here's what I can do:

Connect HTTP to see the file structure
Connect HTTP and use the playlist navigation that's part of Hijack
Control the player and download stream files
Download tracks by using Save As in browser
See the player with Jemplode

Here's what I can't do:

Connect via FTP
Connect with Jemplode (it just says "Loading..." pretty much forever - have left it some 20 minutes)
Download more than a few tracks before the player locks out all remote connections (won't refresh over HTTP, etc.)

After the freezing, eventually the player will start responding through the web interface again. This last time it took about 5-10 minutes. During the freeze it's completely unreachable via a browser.

Can anyone suggest any troubleshooting steps that I can use remotely? When I have some time I will connect up through emplode on a PC and also spy any messages over the serial port.