Everything you'd want to go to around the Quarter is EASILY walkable or a very short cab ride away. I don't know if the trolly's are running. But definitely don't get a car if you are just staying around there, though some hotels do have parking garages. I'd highly recommend you get a car for at least a day or two though and get out of the tourist areas, if for nothing else than to tour the devastation of the city... it's pretty damn unimaginable until you see it up close and see how widespread it is, and it's very impactful. There's also some really great drives you can do to plantations along the River Road that might make great day trips, and even a swamp tour might be cool if you've never really been out in one, despite how cheesy they sound.

I'm PMing you an email my dad sent me when I asked him fairly recently for some hotel recommendations in the quarter for a friend of mine. Might have some good tips.

Mason, sorry to hear about your losses man. But like you said, you faired way better than so many so it's nice to see that you can count your blessings. Our family is in a legal fight with the insurance fuckers over our family camp that was in Bay St. Louis... which had 30 ft of storm surge wash through it.