Quote:
Mark

If you ever get a chance. Try out a 1 series body from Canon - it's a totally different animal. Even though they are beasts to carry, they are amazing and fun. I'm really tempted to trade my 1D Mk II for a Mk III - the higher ISO and lens focus tweaking being the main features.

Yes, I like the new 1DMkIII quite a bit. The previous editions were just too heavy, but they do seem to have shaved quite a bit of weight (and upgraded to modern batteries..) with the newer one.

I used the D60 with the add-on grip and liked it a lot, but have not missed the bulk since getting the 20D (w/no grip).

My ideal (Canon) camera would be a 5D with proper body seals and a pop-up fill flash. As soon as they offer it, I'm in for one.
Quote:

This software is my favorite for processing RAW images http://www.photo-freeware.net/raw-shooter-essentials.php

Thanks. I'll pass that link along to a couple of Windows users I know who have been asking for recommendations like that. I work 99% on Linux systems here, and use workflow chains built around dcraw (which is what nearly all of these guys started with) and netpbm etc..

There is exactly one MS box here, with CS1 on it for doing prints. I made the mistake of getting a Canon photo printer, only to discover too late that they are the only major brand with no Linux support worth mentioning.. And The Gimp doesn't really measure up to PS yet. That same box also serves for DVD ripping, so it's not a total waste.

Cheers