Quote:
I've got two computers, each with space for 2x120mm fans, so I've ordered 4 of those and two temperature-controlled fan controllers, all of it by Scythe, which seemed to get good reviews in my research this afternoon.

To clarify: the fan controllers aren't actually temperature-controlled, but they do display the temperature from four different probes. I fitted two of the fans in my server yesterday, and put probes on the CPU heatsink, on the northbridge heatsink, and on two of the hard disks.

Fitting the fans was the hardest part -- they came with some singularly useless screws, and no instructions. Fortunately, I had some of these rubber fan mounts, which came with the case, so I used those instead.

The fan controller allows the fans to vary between ~1000rpm and ~1500rpm. It's fairly quiet (but still noticable) at 1000rpm, and a bit noisier at 1500rpm. Fortunately, it's a nice low pitch, so it's not intrusive, unlike the wailing banshee that is my desktop PC. I've not connected the CPU fan to the controller, just the two 120mm case fans. Maybe I should.

Temperatures are good, even at the lower speeds: ~33C for the CPU, ~44C for the northbridge, and ~25C for the disks.

I didn't have enough rubber mountings to do both computers, so I've ordered some more, and I'll do the other computer next week when they arrive.