Quote:
Quote:
Another thing: IIRC, WOL packets are broadcast - can you start the server, run ethereal and send the WOL packet to make sure it actually gets there - I have seen switches that don't pass certain broadcast packets (well, these were DHCP) unless specifically configured.

I found I had the nosmurfs options set in shorewall on my intranet adapter, which I disabled. The 2 switches I have right now are a Linksys WRT54G v5 (with all services disabled, dhcp, router, nothing plugged into the WAN port), then for the upstairs I have a 8 port Netgear 10/100 FastEthernet switch. I'm guessing the crappy linksys is causing the problems, either that or dhcpd or shorewall.

You still need to try the test suggested above -- run wireshark/ethereal on the server, and send it the WOL packets from elsewhere, and see if they actually arrive or not. With the server running. If *that* doesn't work, then yes, you have routing issues.

If the WOL packets *do* arrive (wireshark/ethereal), then there's a problem with the server. Most of the gear here has little status LEDs on the ethernet jacks, which remain lit even after the machine is shut down. Seeing those LEDs remaining lit is a very good indication that WOL is possible; seeing them turn off when the machine is off is an indication that WOL is not going to work with the current settings.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (25/04/2007 14:41)