Quote:
What are the current ppl that designed empeg using today ? Are they not building something more cool ?

Former Empeg employees are today spread across many different companies: some at Sigmatel, some at Numark, two at Roku, two at Apple, and so on. The most recently-released, and probably the final, product in direct descent from the Empeg is the Trekstor Vibez portable MP3 player: that was our H4, our swan-song, our this-is-what-you-could-have-won.

A Squeezebox, or maybe a Roku Soundbridge, is a better purchase now than a Rio Receiver, and the equal of the car-player Receiver Edition.

Several companies (though, sadly, not us) now produce devices which effectively supersede the Rio Central.

The Trekstor Vibez supersedes all the Rio hard-drive portables, and many companies including Apple and Creative have superseded the Rio flash-based portables.

But the car-player... aaah, the car-player. Seven years later there is still no other product in that form factor that can do what I do with mine: turn up to parties with 150+Gbytes of FLAC music in a small cloth bag, and demand only mains power and a line-input to access it all, with a remote-control and a remotely-readable display. As an actual car stereo, I don't even know now whether it has any equals, although for a while now it's at least had competitors -- it didn't even have those for some years. So while it would be nice to think some or all of the car-player team might one day "build something more cool" than the car-player, I wouldn't be surprised if none of us ever did.

Peter