Originally Posted By: jimhogan
 Originally Posted By: altman
Hmmm, those itty bitty hard drives are not specced for continuous operation, so I can believe that stressing them seriously could cause failures.

The typical use profile (after syncing) usually doesn't entail running for long periods of time.

Hugo

Notorious purveyor of bullshit that I am, I figured you knew that I don't have an emulated Cray or 384 MP3s (would that even be in the spec?), so I haven't really been abusing the new (My Precious!) Vibez. I am interested to know what kind of duty they *can* support, though. The previous Vibez shucked off its mortal coil sometime during the effort to transfer about 5GB of music.

Mmm that was definitely a bit quick. I guess a lot depends on temperature, etc, but I suspect that more than a couple of hours continuous operation would be pushing it. ISTR the assumed duty cycle was written somewhere in the datasheet, but that was rather a long time ago and I don't remember.

My vibez is still working fine, apart from the awful wheel thing they covered the sensible wheel control with. If you want to see the actual wheel that was going to be on the Rio 1.8" players, take a look at the Sansa Connect - that's the exact rio wheel, same moulds and everything. Ok, we had some LEDs added round the side to light up the play/pause, skip track, etc icons, but it's the wheel. What might have been, etc... it's a pretty good control in that form.

Hugo