Quote:
Again, those are all valid counterarguments, and, as a commercial venture, the proprietor must consider the consumers' desires, but, from a certain point of view, the artist is still getting his music to individuals. He doesn't care what format it's in, only the consumer does.

Damn, I got bitten by the post time-out. I forgot to copy the contents before pressing the submit button. Argh. Cut-rate version of original post below. This one is only valued at 1 cent compared to the 2c of the original.

Speaking as an artist, I have to cater to what a client wants when I'm producing something for their consumption. With regards to pricing I have to also be sensitive to their needs. The only time I don't have to do this is when creating for the sake of creating (anything for myself for instance).

Let the artist release only a single version of their work. Download-only for instance. As soon as multiple versions are available it is only natural for anyone to valuate them in relation to each other. For me that valuation uses the criteria I've already mentioned, chiefly sound quality and integrity.

The music industry has proven countless times they don't understand consumers and definitely have no clue when it comes to business in the 21st century. Unfortunately many artists are equally out of the loop.

Bottom line: the consumer is king. Value is something each consumer can decide for themselves. If artists don't agree, then they're spending too much time on the pipe.