Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Clients behind an 802.11 bridge are all seen with the same MAC address on the far side, the MAC of the bridge itself. You can get one DHCP address, but since DHCP uses the MAC address as the identifier, you can't have more than one device get a DHCP address, including the bridge itself.

Sadly, I was reading the DD-WRT forums last night, and it appears that this is true. There is only one MAC for anything at the bridge and beyond.

The weird thing is that some users have reported being able to plug multiple devices into the WRT54G in bridge mode, while others were only able to plug in one (which is technically how it should work, I guess). I'll know either way in a few minutes, when I plug in my devices downstairs. I'll let you know.

*edit*
Well, it doesn't appear to be working in my setup. The wireless transmission speed isn't very good either.

Mmm... "client bridge" should be better performance than "repeater bridge". But "repeater bridge" should support multiple MACs without issue.

One thing that might be possible/acceptable, would be to have the DD-WRT run DHCP+NAT for it's local clients, so only one MAC is needed across the wireless bridge. EDIT: that's what "client" mode (no "bridge") does on the DD-WRT. EDIT-2: but not necessary.. see next post.

I may dig mine out again and play some more here now..

Edited by mlord (12/01/2008 21:17)