Oh I'm not willing to accept it by any means, and yes Belichick should've been suspended!

I can remember when Jimmy Johnson admitted to having interns go up to the oppositions coaching/press-box and quite literally pick through the trash to try and get discarded game-plans etc... Bill Parcels (when coaching the Giants) used to have the loading doors opened whenever the opposition was trying to kick a field-goal (apparently there's a nasty cross-wind in Giants stadium)... The list goes on.

Now there's no rules that say they aren't allowed to do those things so the offenses don't warrant a Congressional investigation as such. wink But does that mean they should be allowed to? I'm of the belief that there's a certain amount of niggling that occurs, off the playing field, at any given NFL game. Some of it is playful and some of it borders on illegal/cheating.

The NFL can only police to a point - not to mention that the NFL clubs are more or less a fraternity where I would suspect most would be unwilling to turn a compatriot in. Time will tell if Mangini ever coaches again after his term in New York is over.

At this point I'm just splitting hairs but; I agree that the Pats did do something illegal (i.e. broke a written law). The idea that it 'may' have pushed previous years teams over the cusp of greatness is relative because it wasn't an official NFL 'rule' until the start of this year (kudos to Mangini for reading the memo!) So was it in fact illegal in previous years?

Apparently I've started a thought process and managed to confuse myself (must have caffeine!) smile

In any case, I share your vision that the games should be decided between two teams, two coaches and Mother nature. I just think that the Pats have become a scapegoat for a greater issue (in all professional sports). When you live up here you can't turn around without hearing about it daily. It doesn't help that Belichick's demeanor is that of Cheney holding a shotgun with a smirk on his face (Oops)!