Originally Posted By: DWallach
From my entirely vague understanding of what Judaism might have to say about this, there's no religious problem, per se. If you want to baptise me in absentia, go knock yourself out. Just don't expect it to mean a damn thing to me or my family.

With you so far...
Quote:
On the other hand, the act is still deeply offensive.

...no, lost you, sorry. Surely it would be more offensive if they deliberately excluded Jewish people from an act which they believe they're doing for the baptisee's benefit?
Quote:
You might as well try to retroactively convert past Popes. I'm sure Catholics might take some exception with that.

Why? Again, if these Catholics believe that the Mormon baptism is metaphysically meaningful, then they must believe it's beneficial. If they don't believe it's metaphysically meaningful, isn't it just empty words, a stage-play signifying nothing?

Caring whether or not adherents of your religion, are posthumously claimed by another religion, surely only makes sense if you believe that the Mormon god, the Catholic god, and the Jewish god all exist as separate, competing entities, and that it's important whose team you're on. Perhaps some people do indeed believe that, but it's hardly mainstream in any major Western religious tradition.

Peter