Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
As long as it sees the card at all, it will create a device node which you can dd from.

Right now, I think it's not even seeing the card -- at least on XP and OS X. I haven't had the chance to try it under linux, yet, but I'm expecting it to be the same behaviour. I tested a good card, and it created a device node under /dev (sda1, I think), but wouldn't create anything for the bad card.
Now that I've tested under Linux, to be more precise, when I plug in the card reader, it creates 4 device nodes, /dev/sd[b-e] (it's a multi-card reader). When I insert a good card, an additional device node, /dev/sdc1, is created. Inserting the bad card does nothing. The little blinky transfer light on the card reader doesn't even flash, the way it does for the good card.

Attempting to open the /dev/sdc device directly (in python, os.open("/dev/sdc", os.O_RDONLY)) spits back a "No medium found: '/dev/sdc'" error when the bad card is inserted, but is successful when the good card is inserted.

Nothing shows up in /var/log/messages when I insert the bad card. Inserting a good card generates the following:
Code:
    Apr 10 14:55:17 congo kernel: SCSI device sdc: 64000 512-byte hdwr sectors (33 MB)
    Apr 10 14:55:17 congo kernel: sdc: Write Protect is off
    Apr 10 14:55:17 congo kernel: sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
    Apr 10 14:55:17 congo kernel: SCSI device sdc: 64000 512-byte hdwr sectors (33 MB)
    Apr 10 14:55:17 congo kernel: sdc: Write Protect is off
    Apr 10 14:55:17 congo kernel: sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
    Apr 10 14:55:17 congo kernel:  sdc: sdc1

At this point, unless anyone else has a suggestion, this card is definitely broken beyond my capabilities to repair.