Originally Posted By: Boelle
nice... maybe setings for high and low temps and the fan to be run a the lowest speed that meets these settings? like in most motherboards today you define a high and low and the MB just vary the speed of the fan so that the temp is within these temps

Somewhere here is a thread (or two) on adding a fan control circuit to the empeg, using a tiny add-on circuit board. Hijack has high/low thermostat parameters for controlling it, in the config.ini file.

It is time for you to practice some search fu. I usually don't have much luck with the built-in BBS search, though others here do obtain excellent results with it. But "google empegbbs xxxx" works much of time for me.

Quote:
by harddrive check i mean a check for bad sectors and so on

That's something which is not possible for end-users on most consumer devices. So with one hat on, I'll say forget about it.

But if you are technically competent, then note that the empeg does run Linux under the hood. And a nice thing about Linux, is that it's the same kernel with the same (minimum) features, regardless of machine type or size.

So.. whatever works for a Desktop PC or mainframe, will also work for an empeg.

The simplest way to check for bad sectors, is to just connect to the empeg over serial, hit control^C, and then do cat /dev/hd* > /dev/null.

Go away for a few hours while it runs, and watch the serial session for hard drive error messages.

Or move up a step from that, and use the Linux smartctl command to access the S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics of the drive(s). Again, search fu should turn up a binary for it elsewhere on this BBS.

Cheers