I got the case open, saw 0.02V on the fan header, saw the fan work when connected to the other header, and determined that the problem was beyond me. Before closing it up, I installed the new lamp, which I had confirmed as working on Thursday. Now I turn the projector on and get nothing. Maybe my fiddling broke it worse.

Or maybe it's something else. When I turn it on, I see and hear a metallic disk spinning up*. 20 seconds later, it spins down. During normal operation, this disk must have remained spinning because I recognize the whine that it makes. It seems like the projector knows something is wrong, so it quickly gives up.

Maybe Shonky's right and a temp sensor is bad, so the front fan and the lamp don't turn on. At 6 years old, that seems likely; but the projector has only 420 hours on it. The old lamp shows no sign of being burnt out.

Maybe there was nothing wrong at all; when I replaced the lamp, it worked, and that burning smell was normal. Then I messed with it and broke it further.

Regardless, I bought a new one. Does anyone know of a projector repair shop who would actually look at this? Too often, I send things to these random Internet repair places and they come back still broken.

Thanks for your help.

* This is a DLP projector. So, that spinning metal disk holds the image which is projected? And it spins so that it's not sitting idle in front of the burning lamp? Because by spinning it, the image is in front of the lamp only 1/5th of the time and thus avoids getting burnt out?