Originally Posted By: Roger
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Ah, heck, I'm starting to think that I'm just going to stick to backing everything up onto a spare hard drive and take it over to the parents' house once a week...

This is exactly what I do, except "parents' house" is "my desk drawer at work" and "once a week" is "once a month or so". Oh, and I alternate between two external disks, so that at least one of the backups is never in the same place as the computer.

Yeah, that's what I'm planning.

However! I wanted to add an alternative for the people who are concerned primarily with backups. If you don't need a lot of web space, I could see getting one of those pay as you go plans, and then paying $5 a month to Mozy for, as they claim, "unlimited backup." I haven't found any asterisks so far, and they specifically mention photos, music, and essentially pst files. I'm not sure what would happen if I uploaded the uncompressed AVIs of my wedding video, but hey, they claim "unlimited."

At the moment I have the free 2GB plan to test it out, but it looks like a good service. The software is really simplistic, but it can automatically back up when it's detected an idle state for a user-specified amount of time. They also claim pretty high encryption, and you can specify your own encryption key.

The only issue I'm coming across at the moment is that I'm testing my first backup right now, just 327.5MB, and it's pretty slow. But I think that's because it's encrypting the data in chunks and then uploading it. Besides, this is an initial backup, so presumably in the future it'll go pretty quick.

*edit*

Shameless plug: there's a referral system on Mozy, so I'd really appreciate it if you'd use the link above when signing up, should you choose to do so. We both get 256MB more for doing so.

Edited by Dignan (05/06/2008 06:37)