Yes Mozy is very good.

But (you knew there had to be a but coming didn't you) it is very slow to backup large amounts of data, at least it is from here in the UK. I signed up to their unlimited plan in November last year and set it backing up 90GB of data (photos/mp3s made up the bulk of it). It took just about six months to complete the first backup.

Admittedly I only run it for about 8 hours a day, but I still thought that was a little slow.

I have one other issue with it. You can choose to limit the bandwidth used at certain times of the day, but this is combined with the same functionality used to stop it running at all at some times of the day.

This means that if I want to constrain it to only run 1am - 9am (which I need to) I can't then restrict the amount of bandwidth it uses when it runs. That means that it happily uses all the upstream bandwidth when it runs, which makes any other TCP traffic between 1am - 9am run very slowly. Not a problem when you use the machine it is running on, as it notices you using it and slows down, more of a problem when using another machine on the network. It really needs a global, "never use more than this amount of bandwidth option".

I am fully expecting at some point that the unlimited side of it will become limited in some way. Things like this always do in the end.

Edited by andy (05/06/2008 06:43)