I tried to rip a CD today for the first time in a while, and EAC says "No audio CD in drive." If I go to the configuration wizard, it tells me "EAC couldn't find a CD in the drive to be tested. Make sure a CD containing audio tracks is inserted in the drive named on the top of the dialog. Please try again or go back to the previous screen."

There IS an audio CD in the drive. If I go to Control Panel and in the AutoPlay defaults tell it to "Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer" the CDA files are there, and if I click on one of them it plays.

If, on the other hand I set the autoplay option to my usual setting ("Take No Action") and open up Windows Explorer and click on my H: drive (dvd/cd RW) I get a message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."

In neither mode does EAC recognize that there is an audio CD in the drive. If I put a DVD in the drive, it autoplays with no problems.

The system is (regrettably) Windows Vista Ultimate. I have ripped dozens of CDs with it in the past.

I have the full Nero suite installed, and it is possible (but I don't think so) that it was installed sometime after the last time I used EAC. Nero will play the CDs without difficulty. Perhaps the Nero installation changed some default somewhere that EAC doesn't like?

How do I fix this?

tanstaafl.