Quote:
I obviously cannot speak for everyone, but, just so you understand my point of view better, I'm not in favor of those things because I'm out to get something for free. I'm in favor of those things because I feel that it promotes the infrastructure of the country. Those of us who are doing well can afford to provide some services for those who aren't, and helping those people get a leg up should help all of us. At the same time, I don't believe that those services should be available only to a certain class of people, so the government should offer those services to everyone. Some may choose not to partake of those services for whatever reason, but it should be a right, not a handout.

My only issue with social welfare programs are that they are run by the government. Don't forget, I work for the government. I SEE how things are handled. While it SEEMS like a good idea to hand out free shit all over the place, The reality I see every day is quite different.

The way I see it, my tax dollars are being spent supporting an entire class of people who would rather not work. Not can't, just won't. It's bred an entire sub-culture of people that do nothing all day but try and beat the system.

Again, in my opinion, this is causing drag on the national economy, not moving it forward, as my tax dollars are being poured into non-producing "members of society". And don't try and feed me bullshit about how there simply aren't enough jobs to go around either. Our public works department is currently running at 40% capacity. High school diploma not required. All people have to do is get off their lazy asses and work for a living. Working here provides full health benefits, retirement, annual raises, etc. but still we aren't even getting applications. It's sickening, really.

So to close, I totally understand the utopian view that helping the lower classes reach higher benefits us all, but it simply doesn't jive with how I see things work in reality. And as to the abortion debate, that's an extremely easy call for me. See, I'm adopted. My bio-mom was 15 and bio-dad was 16 when I was born. I could have very easily been aborted. I dare say that most people here wouldn't have blamed a 15 year old for taking the easy way out. I'm sure as hell glad she didn't, though.

The adoption process takes from 3-5 years currently due to a lack of babies that are born to mothers that choose to put them up for adoption. Babies are being SOLD on the black market. For me, there is no excuse for this. Personally, I take offense at the whole "it's my body" crap. We're talking about a human being, for god's sake. I cannot imagine killing my child for convenience.

Sorry about that. Like I said, it's a very personal subject to me.

At any rate, flame away.