Quote:
It's worth investigating as a possible cause if it does, in fact, insert a driver as described above.

Actually... it inserts up to 56 of them. It can process 56 tracks simultaneously (28 if Perfect Audio is enabled). The speed advantage depends on whether your hardware is fast enough to take advantage.

I did a little research on the Tunebite users group board, found out a few things.

First, Tunebite disables sleep and hibernation while it is running. This is because, according to posts on the Tunebite forum, 100% of all audio tracks processed by Tunebite will be corrupted in sleep mode.

Second, Vista computers are less happy with Tunebite than XP computers, and have to process at 1x speed. This means if you are converting a single one-hour track, it will take... one hour. If you are converting 10 one-hour tracks simultaneously, it will take... one hour. Provided your hardware and RAM are up to the task. There is a registry tweak where Tunebite users can force it to 2x or 3x, but this is not endorsed by Tunebite, as YMMV depending on hardware.

I think my problem may be that if I run Tunebite, and then at any later time prior to re-booting allow the computer to go into sleep mode, it won't wake up again, probably because there is a bug in their sleep/hibernation procedure. I'll pose the question on the Tunebite board and see if I get any response. Meanwhile, I have turned off sleep mode in Vista, but left monitor shut-off as it has always been (20 minutes). Are there adverse effects from not allowing sleep mode? I usually turn the computer off if I'm not using it in any case.

tanstaafl.