Originally Posted By: eagle
I just ordered one of these:
http://www.memoryc.com/transcend/ts64gssd25-m.html

to replace my single 40GB harddisk, I better hope it works!

Will let you know how it goes...

I still haven't got round to install the SSD yet, but I think this particular one is a good choice, it's not fast (about 10MB/s tested on a PC) and it's MLC which means less read/write cycles, but as said by others here for this particular use in the empeg all this doesn't matter, read speed is more than enough, write is still faster than USB or 10Mbit Ethernet and the read/write cycles are still way more than needed for the empeg (I believe in the order of 100,000 for each cell).

I hope I find the time to install it in the next few days.

Also I can recommend memoryc.com, this is my second order from them and so far the buying experience has been flawless.

BTW, I currently have a 40GB HDD in the empeg, could I just attach both the old HDD and the new 64GB SSD directly to a PC (with 2.5"->3.5" IDE adapters) and then 'dd' the content over under linux?
Does the empeg use ext2 so I can just resize the filesystem afterwards to make full use of the 64GB?
I know this works for normal Linux partitions as I have done this a few times when upgrading HDDs in Linux boxes, but will it work for the empeg too?

Edited by eagle (21/10/2008 05:56)
Frontier Labs NEX IIe - 1GB IBM Microdrive,
Frontier Labs NEX 3 - 1GB SD (SanDisk Ultra II+usb),
Frontier Labs NEX Ia+ - 4GB Flash (owned by wife),
Frontier Labs NEXBlack - will get a 32GB CF card soon \:\)