Originally Posted By: Robotic
I just noticed your signature and all the Frontier Labs players you have.
I was pretty sad when Dreamweaver's forum went down. Traffic was down to nil. I still have my Nex Ia as my 'primary' player. It doesn't get much of workout, though. I'm not really part of the iPod Generation that *has* to have music in their ears 24-7. It gets used on flights, if at all.
I was really excited about the player- only one to use CF *and* AA batteries *and* have upgradeable firmware. They seemed to have some fair ideas and then things just died out.

Yes it's a shame they didn't have more success, but I guess they couldn't compete with the marketing power and distribution channels of the big players (Apple, Sony, Microsoft, ...) and the trend to colour screens and video playback (IMHO not at all necessary in a pocket-sized player, I have no need to watch stamp sized movies).

I too believe the Nex range were the best portable mp3 players ever made, the CF/SD card no internal memory concept is perfect, I never understood the idea of fixed internal memory, why should you have to buy a new player just to have more memory?!

Also AA batteries are so much more convenient, especially when using NiMh rechargeable ones and the user interface is pretty good too, simple but practical, plus no DRM or need for proprietary transfer software, not even a usb cable if you have a card reader on the PC/laptop.

Edited by eagle (21/10/2008 19:53)
Frontier Labs NEX IIe - 1GB IBM Microdrive,
Frontier Labs NEX 3 - 1GB SD (SanDisk Ultra II+usb),
Frontier Labs NEX Ia+ - 4GB Flash (owned by wife),
Frontier Labs NEXBlack - will get a 32GB CF card soon \:\)