So, I purchased an Alpine iDA-X100 + H100 Audio Processor. And, today I had it installed.

My first comments, after three hours drive and some playing in my garage:

1. It sounds SUPERB. I am impressed.

2. The iPod integrates very very nicely. The interface is very similar to the one of the ipod itself, and it is as quick as the ipod itself. I confirm the slow text printing on the display that Hugo pointed out actually seems done on purpose, for some aestetics intent.

3. My installer and I had a lot of fun using the Alpine imprint software and hardware. Not that there's much to do, but it was fun to see it run and produce the needed "filter" for my car interior, at the end. Even though this first imprint session was not very accurate (we still had some stuff on seats and on the floor, which could have altered its audio characteristics, and, I am thinking I should've been inside to replicate exactly the typical listening condition), and still the sound is wonderful.

4. The build quality of the head unit is just among the best I've ever personally touched. Buttons and knobs are solid, response is accurate, and I found them very readable. The display is bright, readable under direct sun, and just beautiful. While I do like the large knob in the middle of the head unit, I wish Alpine had opted for a larger display.

5. For Audi owners: the red button illumination, the red display, and the white Alpine logo and display font match so well the white/red instrumentation color that I am thinking that was done by Alpine on purpose, as it really looks perfect. I really got lucky on that.

So, while I am still exploring the various options, I am already very happy with this install. This compensates all disappointment with my new iPod (which is, by the way, sounding really really GREAT when connected to the Alpine).
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg