Quote:
Does it support separated front/back-end?

I'm fairly certain, but not 100% on this. There is server software for locating things in other rooms if thats any help but I've never investigated it in any detail.

Quote:
Internet-accessible scheduling?

This I really don't know. But there's so many plug-ins and add-ons that its hard to keep up with all the features. It really does get added to daily, and being open-source, you can fix things yourself if you have the skills (I don't).

Quote:
I'm also looking for hardware recommendations. And I'm not just interested in the HTPC component; I also want recommendations for the sound system, etc.

I can only help with the PC components here. I specced my PC to run quiet and cool but still being able to handle HD and multiple recordings etc. I'd imagine you know what your doing in that area though?

Graphics wise I just put an Nvidia 8600GTS in there with a quiet Zalman cooler on it. A quiet Corsair PSU and a quiet Scythe CPU cooler. All in all its just a quiet hum if that.

Auzentech have a new sound card coming out that supports uncompressed HD audio from BR discs. Looks interesting but probably only for real audiophiles. It takes the HDMI from a video card, adds the audio and outputs as one HDMI. A very neat solution. It also allows one audio and one video HDMI to go to a receiver if need be.

Asus also have a number of graphics cards with integrated 5.1 audio (compressed) that output as a single HDMI.