Palm might as well start planning the Pre Post-Mortem. Seriously, the handset might do brisk low-volume business but Palm's days are still numbered. It's not a question of if but when.

Comparing a mobile platform to a console is somewhat irrelevant. If you were to make the comparison against groups of handsets I'd give you that, but we're talking about platforms here that have a life beyond a single product cycle.

I see two major platforms going forward. iPhone and Android. Three in the short term, but Windows Mobile is on its last legs and I don't think anything Microsoft does in 2009 will save it. Even if they threw every last penny at it they made in every other division of the company.

Oh, and in terms of support by third party developers? No one is going to support anything but the two platforms I mentioned above.

If you're developing for financial gain, you'd have to have rocks in your head to spend any time whatsoever developing anything for any platform other than iPhone right now.