Originally Posted By: hybrid8

I'm still amazed Palm's CEO can state they have a better product than the iPhone when all they have to show is the Pre. That's not confidence, that's complete denial and delusion. If they can convince an unsuspecting populace, they might get some sales. But the device is about as underwhelming as they come. it's something I would have expected from Sky Dayton and Helios.

I'm really puzzled by your reception of the Pre. I'm a very happy iPhone owner, but I can see how impressive the Pre is.

From the launch video the user interface seems just as coherent, slick and easy to use as the iPhone. The extra gesture area looks like it will move things on as well, that page down gesture in particular looked very useful for web browsing.

From what I saw they had even sussed the Safari style zoom in/out in a way that Nokia and Google have not.

The card based UI looked like a big improvement on the iPhone way of doing things. Being able to quickly switch between two emails, contacts etc looks very handy.

Despite all that, I wouldn't want a Pre. For a start I don't want or need a physical keyboard. My last phone had a slide out keyboard (HTC S710) and the iPhone had taught me that a touchscreen keyboard can work better than tiny keys on a physical keyboard.

Compared to the Nokia E71 the Pre (and iPhone) looks like some sort of unearthy magic. I had a play for a couple of hours with my brothers E71 and I couldn't believe what a mess it was.

I always owned Nokia phones in the past (before they started using Symbian) and loved their ease of use and coherent UI. The E71 in comparison is awful. It is like they tried to cram as many random UI metaphores into a single interface as they could manage. It is also painfully slow when doing anything vaguely interesting.

It is kind of ironic, given that I loved my Psions before Psion lot the plot and went and got involved in Symbian.

Nokia need to do a lot of catching up on Apple (and the Pre) otherwise I reckon they will be in big trouble in a couple of years.