Anyone else using Safari 4?

I gave its new tabs a try for about a week but then used the hidden pref to restore the traditional tabs. Apple unfortunately goofed big time with tabs in the titlebar. It looks like they were trying too hard to improve what Google had created with Chrome in this respect. But failed. Windows need a title bar and Chrome has one that sits above its tabs.

I also restored the original page-load progress display (coloured background in address field).

Installing Glims gives me type-ahead (ability to search on the page by just typing, without first invoking a find command), dated download folders and search shortcuts in the address bar among other things.

I've noticed one PITA problem with Safari's new Top Sites view. It accesses the sites within it to check whether they have new content and to refresh their images. In doing this it's using the cookies stored locally for those sites. For EmpegBBS (and I suppose other forums) this means that when you go to the actual site you may not see any unread threads. It's as if you've visited twice, so everything might be considered read.

I first noticed this a couple of days ago and then realized it was because I was using the Top SItes page.

Other than that, this release seems only about as stable as version 3. As you open pages it takes up more and more real memory and doesn't release it when you close sites/tabs/windows. It will suck up to about 250MB where it will then stay pegged. Safari 3 seemed to have issues where memory use would possibly climb a LOT higher than this. I'd still like to see memory released as pages are closed if they're not going to use that memory to quickly restore the view of a previously viewed site (it doesn't seem like this is being done anyway).