I will understand if this is something that folks here don't want to discuss or want to pull this thread from the forum. I hear it's sometimes a touchy ethical subject.

But here's the facts: it's tough times out there. I'm looking to expand my business a little into doing some video editing, and everything I've tried on the Windows side has left me cold. I've done some work on a Mac and just think it's far better on the video editing side.

The problem is that despite repeated attempts to justify the Mac Pro to myself, I still cannot justify spending around $2600-3000 on one. I'm not getting an iMac, as I have a perfectly good 30" monitor. I'm not getting a Mini, because I want to do video editing.

So yes, I want to see what it would take to put OSX on something I build myself. I look at the Mac Pro I would want, and at the very least it would come to about $2600. I look at the parts I'd need to upgrade my own PC to something akin to the Mac Pro, and I need to spend around $1200. I know there's an Apple Tax, and I'm not saying that all of that $1400 is tax, but a large portion of it is.

So how difficult is the Hackintosh? What parts of OSX will/won't work? What hardware will/won't work?

I've read a couple guides out there, but they've been a bit unintuitive. The OSx86 site is pretty tough to wade through, IMO. I'd really appreciate any tips.

And the way I look at it, if I really like MacOS, when I'm doing better financially it'll be easier for me to pull the trigger on a real Mac Pro. But right now I need a new computer for my livelihood, and I just can't afford the Apple machine.