Originally Posted By: DWallach

1) How loud when idle?

As Tom says, it's very quiet. It is much much quieter than my MacBook when the fan is spun up. I have mine on top of my desk at the moment, so it's close to me, can't say it bothers me too much. In fact I remembered I still have a sound level meter around, the ambient level here is 35.5dB and with the Mac Pro powered up and idle it's only 37.9dB. Measured from my listening position about 1m from the tower which is on top of my desk, good enough answer for you? smile smile

One thing I have noticed is that the fan speed doesn't seem to ramp up much during load. On my MacBook it would sound like a little turbine when running something like CineBench, but even under full multicore load the Mac Pro seems to stay quiet might have something to do with the massive heatsink on the quad model...

Originally Posted By: DWallach
2) How much power consumption when on but idle (i.e., disks spun down, monitor in powersave, but computer still on)?

Tom, how did you pull off these figures? I don't have anything external to look at either.

Cheers

Cris

Attachments
IMG_9525.jpg (180 downloads)

Edited by Cris (11/03/2009 07:08)