Originally Posted By: Tim
Any reason you don't just browse to the internet video stream on the PS3 natively?

Yes, a few reasons:

1. The web browser on the PS3 is awful. Joystick control for a mouse pointer is terrible. Entering URLs with a joystick is even worse.

2. No full screen for videos when using PS3 web browser. At least they don't work when I try them.

3. I like the idea of organizing all video content into one nice menu structure browsable easily by joystick or remote, regardless of source location.

4. I like the idea of being able to set up RSS feeds of my favorite regularly-updated videos (like Zero Punctuation) and select them without having to navigate to the web page.

5. Once I get the PS3's streaming issues solved, I want to get the same thing working for my DirecTV HR21 (which also has similar problems to the PS3 when attempting to stream video, so I'm guessing if I solve the PS3's problems I'll also solve the HR21's problems). Then I would be able to go from Tivo'd programs, to live TV, to internet video, all from one interface with my remote control.

6. I like the idea of doing all of the above from the PS3 and/or the HR21 more than using my Mac Mini for the same purpose. I can browse all this stuff from the Mac Mini right now. It's all just so much easier from the game console or DVR. The technology for the convergence is here, the software just needs to start working right.

7. It's supposed to work the way I'm expecting it to work.