Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I would never have noticed that MSPaint wasn't working to begin with. There is really no reason not to use Paint.NET or any of the handful of other free image editors that at least have support for PNG, if nothing else.

One big reason: Simplicity. MSPaint's limited feature set makes it very simple to run. What I do with graphics is pretty much limited to things like doing a screenshot of a Google Map and printing it out, or importing a .jpg and drawing an arrow on it, or cropping and resizing a .jpg to post on this bbs. I just don't need a color palette adjustable for tint, saturation, and ... whatever that third thing is. I don't need layers., I don't need 20 different drawing tools with 15 different line widths. For my usage, more capabilities does not mean "more better".

Another reason: I really would like to know what has gone wrong with my computer, and whether it is the harbinger of additional trouble.

Finally, I have used MSPaint for 15 years or so, I have fully mastered its rather simple interface, and don't feel like going through the learning curve of a new program.

tanstaafl.