Short story about my last application for a passport. I'm a dual citizen (Finland/USA). This time around it was time for a new Finnish passport. The passport had expired, and since the new one was to be a biometric passport I needed to apply in person (due to constraints at work I could not travel to New York City before the expiration date).

So I gather up the required paperwork, including my old passport, certified check and proof of having completed my national service. After I submit the paper to the clerk who oddly seems quite concerned that my old passport was expired I wait for about 20 minutes in a small waiting room. The clerk then returns and tells me that my application will have to be forwarded to Helsinki, as it appears that I'm no longer a Finnish citizen since I had let my passport expire!

At this point I went into a mild rage! She started to mumble something about providing proof that I had resided in Finland. Now mind you I had just given her my proof that I had completed my national service, which of course must be completed in Finland! After I pointed this out to her, she then wanted proof that I had held a Finnish passport prior to the old one I had just presented to her! At this point I just told her listen, just send the application to Helsinki and let them take care of it. So I stormed out quite frustrated and slightly worried that I had just lost my citizenship!!

A week later I get an e-mail from her that she had gotten the reply from Helsinki. The application had been approved. Two weeks later a new passport arrived at my front door, with it a letter stating in no uncertain terms that I am and always was a Finnish citizen, with a note that this letter was also sent to the consulate in New York. Hopefully, next time I renew it won't be such an ordeal!

BTW: here is the fee schedule for Finland with processing times:
==========
Fees:
Method of delivery Processing time Fee

Passport

Standard About one week 46 €
Fast track 1–3 days 60 €
Express* 1 day 80 €
Temporary passport**Issued on the spot 80 €