That's the thing, he wasn't a politician nor representing one, so I'm wondering just what vote he was trying to solicit from me. Like I said, this person seemed only marginally clueless from the glazed look, but proved himself an idiot when he opened his mouth.

I mean even if he was at the door to do something he truly didn't consider soliciting, most people with half a brain would understand the spirit of the sign. Essentially it means "bugger off, don't knock on my door unless I know you or am expecting you."

If you're gong to ask me something, anything, then you're soliciting. If you work for someone and this is your job, going door to door, then you're an "agent."

I just recently put this sign back up as I had taken it down in the past for some window cleaning and then forgot to re-attach it. One day while it wasn't up I noticed that some Jehovah's Witnesses were making the rounds peddling their cult. I printed out a sign that simply said "Kindly Fuck Off" and put that up. Unfortunately they skipped my door and didn't see the sign. It might have had something to do with me having verbally assaulted a few of them when they came knocking a couple of months before. Now when I see them on the streets, they seem to be targeting specifically the homes of people who have just moved in. They must keep a list.

When I lived with my parents many years back, on a much larger property with a 120+ foot long driveway leading up to the house, I had to actually chase these folks off the property with an axe as they simply would not leave, even after asking first nicely multiple times, then getting verbally abusive. On top of that I still had to walk down to the end of the driveway and threaten to smash the window on their car before they moved it from in front of the house and stopped bothering my neighbor.

I'd say that over half the people that come door to door here in the new town I live do so illegally. That is, breaking the town by-laws that require them to have a solicitation permit and have it displayed clearly on their person at all times. The guy yesterday did have some badge, but it wasn't a town permit.

At least I haven't seen any of the energy resale scammers come around in over 8 months. These are the cretins that prey on those even dumber than themselves by asking to see the homeowner's utility bill(s) (pick your poison), and then without their knowledge nor approval, sign them up to a contract for some other service. You'd think this kind of thing would be illegal and that the authorities would be doing something to stop it - at the very least levying fines on the companies. But you'd be wrong.