Quote:
What about an empeg app for something like the Palm Pre?

The first thing I'm going to do when I have some time is play around with a Pre-friendly skin for the httpd. I've already got a wireless bridge in my trunk that's wired in to my empeg in the dash, so in theory, all I need to do is run it in AP mode instead of bridge mode and I should be able to connect to it.

If that all works well, I might work on getting something a little more custom going.

One fun idea would be, if the Mojo APIs provide a way to detect that a call is coming in, the Pre could mute the empeg, or switch it to AUX or something for speakerphone. It could display the phone number/caller name on the Empeg display if the APIs are there.

RSS/arbitrary web content on the empeg display would be pretty doable as well, I think. Probably only useful for short headline scrolls, sports scores, maybe a weather crawl or something.

One really "far out there" thought I had was that the Pre could pick up the song that's playing, fetch lyrics from lrcdb, and load them into emphatic on-demand. That would be pretty cute, but would involve me digging into codebases (emphatic and lrcdb) I've basically ignored for several years now.

The cool thing about the Pre is that it's so hackable, I think anything Palm doesn't give us via the SDK we can eventually hack in with kernel shims a la Hijack. I created this page on the Pre developer wiki with my initial attempts to replace the factory kernel, and several folks have chimed in with further progress on getting one that works 100% like the original. At that point, we can probably beg/borrow/steal any kind of info that Palm doesn't give us via Mojo.

So, lots of possibilities, I think -- finding the time to play with them all is, as usual, the limiting factor.