Whatever you do, don't buy a Linksys WRT160N. I was reluctant in buying this router for a friend of mine who has asked me to buy and install one for him because I had had many problems with the WRT54G in the past. But that was now a couple of years ago and I figured Linksys would've cleaned up their act by now.

They hadn't. frown

After a couple of days, my friend contacted me and said he had been having DNS problems with the router. The browser would give a DNS error on his PC which has a wired connection to the router. His daughter, who used a wireless connection with her laptop, didn't have this problem.

After two minutes of Googling, I had located the problem.

It seems there are two versions of this router: the first one (V1) used a Broadcom chipset and was pretty decent it seemed. Unfortunately, in all their wisdom, Linksys changed the chipset to the pretty unknown RT2880F chip, V2 of the router. That's where the trouble started.

This problem has existed now for almost a year, but still Linksys has not done anything about it. A first they blatantly denied the existence of the problem, now they are ignoring it. It seems the first firmware was pretty decent, but left you vulnerable for a DNS exploit. For this they released an update which patched the exploit, but broke the router entirely. They only thing currently to do is re-flash the router with the old firmware (found here) and use the DNS servers of OpenDNS to avoid becoming a victim of the DNS exploit to which your're vulnerable again then of course. Harly an ideal situation, but if the shop won't take the thing back, it's about all you can do.

In any case this will absolutely be the very last Linksys product I've ever bought! I'm truly disgusted by how Linksys treats their customers so they won't be seeing any more money from me. IMO, Cisco made a big mistake putting their well respected name on POS hardware like this.