There is also the issue of drivers and connectivity, as it is now (and I am sure Altman will pummel me and correct me if I say something wrong now ) the upgrade process is handled in the bootstrap before drivers or anything of the sort are loaded. At this time there are no ethernet or USB drivers (since the kernel is not loaded yet) to provide connectivity. But like you say, you could work around this and leave the serial port-upgrade in there as a last resort recovery option. Considering you don't upgrade every other day the serial-only setup we have right now should suffice. Though the idea of prehaps something like a TFTP option (like often done in say Networking hardware i.e. cisco routers) has it's charm too. Actually, having a tftp client on the empeg (in the developers image) would be nice. To transfer those homemade yet awesome apps like say Franks display server.

Yeah, this would be on my wish list really ... You can get it easily enough I know, but it sounds like a good tool to put on there by default.

Hans

Mk2 - Blue & Red - 080000431