I'm running into a problem mixing the two approaches.

What I'm trying to do is have my app use the bottom/left/right buttons to navigate an application menu, similar to how the player's menu works -- left/right to select menu entries, down to select them. However, a long press of the bottom button (when the player menu isn't active) is also used to switch info from full-screen to normal.

So, my goal was to bind the bottom/left/right buttons, but when I detect a long press of the bottom button using a timer, send that through to the player as a long press.

If I use your approach, the problem is that the bottom button is bound to my app, so those button presses get eaten instead of passed through.

The only workaround I've found is to unbind from that button, open the FD, write to it, close it, and then re-bind to the button -- I think you can understand that's a bit of a mess.

So, is there any technical problem that would prevent me from adding long-press support to the INJECTBUTTONS call? Why are long presses explicitly forbidden using the ioctl, but available from the empeg_notify interface?