Originally Posted By: Dignan
Sheesh! You all act like when/if that were to happen, they would do so immediately, without any notice. First, I think it's unlikely to happen the way you're fearing. Google, for example, would catch hell for something like that, so it wouldn't be worth it to them. Just look at Wave. That wasn't even a success, and they announced its death nearly six months in advance in order to give people enough time to get whatever they needed out of it.

If Gmail closed in 6 months time, tell me how easy it would be to get everything changed to your new email address.

I'm not naive, I know that I'm putting my data in someone else's control, and I know a large number of people on this forum hate that idea. That's fine, I'm not going to convince you, but sometimes I think you guys are a little too scared of these services.

Not sure why you think we're scared of it and why you're so angry in this post. I use Gmail and a whole bunch of other Google services. My phone directly syncs to it. I'm perfectly happy with how it works. I'm still aware that how the service works and whether it will still exist is totally at the mercy of Google themselves. They may decide to change it next month for the worse for all I know.

And I don't care if you call it the "cloud" or not. It's just an easy way to refer to it. For crying out loud, it's just a term!

It just a term yes but it gets tiring when all you hear is the cloud this and the cloud that. Bolting it onto something which doesn't need it is popular these days just so they can claim that they've got integration with the cloud blah blah.