Originally Posted By: gbeer
Originally Posted By: boxer
Quote:

I have been using the five blade type and they last for about a month shaving just about every day.

Heck, you must have a soft beard, mine's only 3 blade and it's getting dull after a fortnight (These days, in retirement, I only shave alternate days).
I don't think that the old type Bitt uses give any worser shave, perhaps more chance of cutting yourself. I always say that if I won the lottery, I'd go to the barbers for a cut throat every day: There's nothing quite like it, but H & S seem to have got to that, although I've been told one in London keeps a separate razor for each regular customer.

These days, it's uncommon to find a barber that will do shaves with a straight razor. See this thread

I shave myself with a straight razor. It was difficult to learn, but I found an old copy (1938) of the American Standard Textbook of Barbering and that helped a lot. What was actually the most difficult was figuring out how to hone and strop and what "sharp" really means. It means something way sharper than I thought it did. Now that I know what I'm doing I only hone every 12-18 months or so, but strop with each use.

The results are fantastic. No more ingrown hairs along my neck, which were a huge problem for me (especially when I had to wear a tie every day). No more razor burn. The closest shave you can imagine. It's sort of a morning meditation.

Using a badger-hair shaving brush with a high-glycerin shaving cream or soap puck (I like Geo. Trumper) will make a big difference, too, even if you use a modern razor.

I also recommend the Trumper after shave lotion (not alcohol based), or Kiehl's.