Originally Posted By: JeffS
Most people end up having to pay for their basic medical needs (and therefore have to be responsible with their spending), while serious medical issues are handled

If you limit "most people" to being the relatively wealthy (you and me and above), I won't (in theory) disagree, but those are the people I'm least concerned with.

The working class and below can't afford maintenance health care now, and that's one of the things that is driving costs up.
Originally Posted By: JeffS
insurance drives people to be less selective about the care they obtain
And the lack of insurance drives people to be far more selective than they should be.

That said, I can't come up with a reasonable set of things for a high deductible to apply to. Certainly regular office visits should be exempted. Despite your implication otherwise, I don't think that doctors arbitrarily prescribe unneeded medications, and the costs there are very high, so it doesn't really make sense from either side. I haven't really thought about it, but maybe a system where the second thousand dollars is out of pocket, or something like that, might make sense, but I still disagree in my gut.

Edited by wfaulk (22/11/2010 11:54)