Hi,

The error 19 you refer to isn't related to the reiserf's as it goes through the boot sequence is it? As far as I know, that is normal.

I'm not sure about the sigkill error, but as to your question about file sizes...

I just completed a full (mostly full - 355GB) load on the dedicated, private net I mentioned before.

I also wanted to see the maximum database size I could download into the player.

The following is not recommended for loads, I just wanted to see what the top end was. I think the 2 - 3GB loads are safe, I would even do 10GB and still feel safe under the configuration I set up. The 2 3 GB loads just takes a lot of time and you need to babysit the loads as they complete unless a batch script (or load queuing), could be written within emplode or jemplode to do it. Idea for someone in the future I guess.

The database size was 27,541 files and 2696 folders. The majority of that is .wav files from my CD collection.

The first time I tried to load the whole database all at once.
That failed with multiple warnings. The warnings were related to the playlist directory and loading tunes. It finished within a few minutes. It didn't write the files, just completed with lots of errors.

If that is what you are trying to do, don't, it won't work. Created new drives for safety sake.

I tried to load 77GB the first time. Worked fine.
I tried to load 93GB for the second load. Worked fine.
I completed the load with 185GB. Worked fine.
This was all completed within 5 days.

After the load, the tags were not there, no database, nor playlist again. Used Roger's instructions again, we're good now. BTW - I forgot to do the CTRL+C & 'rom' last time and it trashed the system on the next power cycle of the player. Had to start over, hence the recent large download again.

I know, everyone is saying I shouldn't do that and it that really degrades the life of the drives. I'm sure it does, these WD 250GB drive pair has a lot of life on them already. If I lose them it's alright. I have very controlled circumstances for these loads.

As I mentioned before, I have the top removed, the room temp is less than 70 degrees F, and I have a temperature sensor right in the middle of each drive tracking the temperature of the drives. I never logged a temperature greater than 92 degrees F (delta of 22 degrees F) for either of the drives during the whole time. The ambient never exceeded 71.3 degrees.

By the way, the drives in play hover around 80 degrees to 87 degrees F. So I thought it was okay under the controlled circumstances. It has been playing .wav files for the last hour and the highest temperature of either drive is 86.1 degrees F. Ambient air is 70.2 degrees F (delta of 15.9 Degrees F). I'll get a measurement with the cover on sometime and report that as well.

What it does tell me about the player is the player drives can run for a long time, the Player has a very robust power supply, the external power supply is robust, the WD 250GB drives run solid, and system signal integrity seems very good. The ethernet seems fine, although I'm still not quite sure why there are the nearly constant collisions - my thought there is still drive rotational latency and TCP/IP throttling. I wonder if it could be the power-down crap on the WD 2TB Green Drives causing this as well? Would like another opinion on that one.

What it tells me about my host system is very similar. The drives in my system are the new WD 2TB Green EADS drives. They seem to be fine. Lots of dedicated time on them now.

Don't know about adding more memory, I did ask for a way that we can see what size is required so that we can right-size the ReserveCache or if necessary add more memory. No response yet. I think the memory chips are scarce.

Later.

Ross