Hi.

I just tried and installed a second drive, strictly following the FAQ. However, something must have gone wrong, because somehow (I still don't know how) the music partition (and probably more) of my first drive got damaged (damn, now I have to reload all my music). Here is what I did:

1. open empeg
  2. remove drive cage (or whatever one might call it)
  3. removed primary drive
  4. attached new drive
  5. installed car2-builder.upgrade
  6. let drive stress test run for a while (1 hour or so), no errors
  7. installed car2-developer-v1.03.upgrade
  8. attached old drive again
  9. rebooted empeg

---> empeg only found one drive (the old one), but no music partition, was even unable to find the root partition.
  10. checked all cables again, no problem found here. Checked on the drives jumper settings

---> damn, I need two jumpers (one per drive) to get them to work together.
  11. unattached secondary (new) drive
  12. rebooted empeg

---> empeg didn't find the music partition, but provided a shell after exiting the player.

---> the music partition had the size of the new drive's music partition, I don't know how it came to this.
    ---> I tried re-partitioning the music partition only, but failed (it mounted the music partition ok, started the player, but it only resulted in emplode reporting:

The download process failed in stage 2:

Player error 0xfffffff8
  13. installed car2-builder.upgrade on old (primary) drive

14. installed car2-developer-v1.03.upgrade, then car2-consumer-v1.03.upgrade, both with exactly the same result.

Now, any hints what might have gone wrong and how to fix it?

[Additional note: I now tried replacing the first drive completely, but the result was exactly the same as before (i.e. initializing the "new" harddisk (6GB IBM Travelstar that definately works perfectly in my notebook), then installing 1.03developer image resulted in the above mentioned error).]

cu,
sven
(proud owner of a MkII 12GB blue now green, #080000113)

Edited by smu on 11/07/01 12:26 PM.